Tuesday 2 June 2015

NT Road Trip 2015: Part 04 Eringa Waterhole

Day 05 overnight -- Eringa Waterhole

On this trip, I slept in a swag. It was excellent, snug and cosy in my sleeping bag, perhaps a tad too enclosed. I certainly couldn't sit up in it, couldn't raise my head more than 10 cm without opening the cover. It had a fly cover and a canvas cover over that; all with zips to make the thing impenetrable if necessary. I mostly slept with the canvas half down thus the lightening sky always woke me well before dawn. Which meant I was up and ready to bird at sunrise.



Eringa Waterhole was lovely. The light was superb [as it was every morning of the trip; a legacy of no clouds nor light nor pollution] for both birding and photos. Each morning was usually dead calm hence it was easy to spot a bird moving in the top of a tree.





A life tick was the Red-breasted Grey-crowned Babbler [yes, there is such a bird] spotted in the gums on the side of the waterhole.

Grey-crowned Babbler Pomatostomus temporals rubeculus
Magpie-lark Grallina cyanoleuca
Pied Butcherbird Cracticus nigrogularis
Whistling Kite Haliastur sphenurus
More on Whistling Kites in the next post.

Magic. t1250 and be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment