Monday 19 October 2015

Tawny Frogs

It has been two weeks since the last blog and there is a lot to tell you! [I sound like the Ancestry adverts on the telly which are causing me to hit the mute button]. So I shall work backwards.

After the BLEG outing yesterday to Macleod's Morass South, I went searching for the nesting Tawny Frogmouths. Avithera blogged a beauty about the nesting couple here. I found the site easily but was presented with a forest of young red gums. Oh which tree? The specific directions were spot on, the male was on the nest and I spent just 3-4 minutes taking some pictures from a reasonable distance. There has been vigorous discussion over the last fortnight on Victorian Birders on Facebook about how close for how long does one approach a nest. I suspect no-one would get excited if you put a nest cam in a Common Starlings nest but there is pressure on a fair few of our native species. The majority view is more [distance] is better and less [time] is better too. A nesting Spotted Harrier pair at WTP is being observed intensely by one particular chap who maintains it is okay. Hmm.

Anyway, I had a good look at Mr F, circled the tree taking my snaps then vamoosed. The last time I saw a TF was when I worked for Maffra Veterinary Centre last century. I went to a horse with colic on the outskirts of Sale later one evening and the owners pointed out the TF in the tree above my patient!! It didn't move [as they are want to do] for the entire consultation and treatment! Neither did this one but you can see a half-open eye in a couple of images.

The nest looks like it is suffering from a bit of slippage.


"Just keeping an eye on you mate"

A Tawny Frogmouth post came up on Facebook this morning. Here is the link. Check out their diet!

Magic. f8 and be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment